What is this all about?

Lower Tancredston Farmhouse is the main 'residence' for the Wade family in Tancredston, Hayscastle, Pembrokeshire. It has been empty for over 2 years and finally a builder has been selected (Mark Roberts) for the entire renovation project. This blog is the story (with photos) of the renovation.

Monday, 15 July 2013

We are moving in

We have started to take stuff over to the farmhouse - most of our clothes are now in bags or lying on a spare bed (need to clean out all of the wardrobes which have been in storage for a while).  There is a large pile of duvets/pillows/bedding in the guest bedroom, which will be sucked into those vacuum storage bags before being stacked in the airing cupboard.

My craft room is full of boxes/bags/piles.  Definitely no crafting will happen in there for a while!

Tomorrow we can start taking stuff over for the kitchen, as most of the cupboard doors are on.  The electrician and plumbers will be here as well, to get the hob/hood wired in and the kitchen sink sorted.  The painter is finishing the last bits and, as with any project, there are various little jobs to complete.  It turned out that the sparkly glass splashback we had ordered to go behind the hob is too big, so we will have to source a specially cut one to be fitted at a later date.

On Wednesday, the stairs/landing carpet is being fitted and we also do most of the moving of furniture/fridge/freezer/washing machine/tumble drier etc, etc.  We will be sleeping in the farmhouse that night!

It will be a while before everything is moved over from our rented house (only across the road!) and we get it all stored away correctly, and I look forward to the day when we can finally relax properly.

My craft room - it will look a lot better when the box contents
are in the wardrobes and on bookshelves!

The hob and hood - glass splashback to be
added at a later date.

Only 2 cupboard doors left to be put on
(looking forward to using the ovens!).

The shiny island.

Wednesday, 10 July 2013


We had the bedroom carpets fitted yesterday.  They will come back on Monday to do the stairs/landings (the painter and carpenter are finishing off the walls/bannisters at the moment).

This means that we can now start to move in!  I am packing up the car with as much content from my craft room as I can carry, and this will be taken over tonight when the builders have 'left the building'. 

It seem like ages ago that we started the project back in January (I looked through the whole of the blog a few days ago and it is fascinating to see the rapid progress).  I will do a post soon with thanks to all of the people involved and their contact details.

The 2nd bedroom/dressing room before the carpet went down.

And after .... (yes, Mark the Builder even
vacuums round for us!).

The Guest Bedroom

Another view.

My Craft Room.

The view towards the door.

Sunday, 7 July 2013

A sunny weekend update

So much has been completed in the farmhouse and for the first time this weekend I felt like it was our home.  We have been in there a few times, doing the hot tub maintenance and planning what to do with the myriad (I am trying to extend my vocabulary - go to https://www.vocabulary.com/ - very addictive!) of bedroom furniture, some older/attractive from the farmhouse, other less old/less attractive from the farmhouse and also the existing orange pine stuff we have in our current home!  We have seen what we would like if money was no object - Penderi Furniture, Whitland - but for now we need to ensure that we have enough storage for our own clothes, plus some storage in the guest bedroom, and not end up with an ugly mess!  Anything usable left over will go in my craft room, as any crafter will know that you can never have too much storage!

The boiler room is mostly finished, so now I have my hot tub chemicals/cleaners etc stored in there, and it is wonderful having a sink to use right next door to the hot tub.  Small things - but makes me feel like it is our home now, and not just a building site.

We also sat out on the 'patio' outside the kitchen on Saturday afternoon.  Lovely sunny spot.

The carpets are being fitting on Tuesday, and then we can start moving in upstairs.

The kitchen debacle continues.  The correct door handles have been received.  The issue with the wedge units has been resolved by moving them a few mm's and longer doors ordered.  The tall unit that did not match up with the design has been resolved by ordering made to measure doors.  The Silestone worktop people have come back and amended the templating, and are already working on the island worktop - so that should be here soon.  However, we have now been told that the replacement doors will not be with us until 22nd August, despite being told when we ordered that if there are any issues they can get replacements to us very quickly, often the next day, which is one of the reasons why we chose this particular kitchen.  REALITY IS NOT MATCHING UP WITH THE CLAIMS MADE BEFORE WE PARTED WITH OUR MONEY!!  We will be moving in with the kitchen unfinished, so I will need to be creative and work out how I will cope without a hob and it will be a while before I can get all the cupboards filled.

Here are some photos taken over several days last week.

The new front porch door

The dining room floor has been put down

The new 'Mini Me' door on the cupboard under the stairs

You can see the kitchen layout now, as all of the cupboards/most of the appliances are in place -
just waiting for the Silestone worktops plus the rest of the cupboard doors

The living room - with plastic on the floor, as the painter has
been finishing off in there

The airing cupboard door is now painted

Inside the airing cupboard - will be very cosy!

The view from the main bathroom
My craft room - almost finished

The view from one of the craft room windows

The view from one of the other craft room windows